I've been looking for vmware on the repository for the whole day but could find it. There are still no vmware on hardy repo for sure. It's still not supported on Hardy. So here is a few tips on how to setup VMWARE:
- Download the source from http://www.vmware.com/download/server/
- Download the patch from Patch
- Now we could start installing the VMware on our new Hardy Heron.
- 1st Step: Extract the .tar file and go to the directory.
tar xvf VMware-server-1.0.4-56528.tar.gz
cd [Directory created when extract]
- 2nd Step: Run the installation.
- You will recieve an error like this. But that's normal.
include/asm/bitops_32.h:9:2: error: #error only can be included directly
make: *** [/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only/common/cpuid.o]
make: *** [_module_/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only] Error 2
make: Leaving directory \`/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-4-generic\’
make: *** [vmmon.ko] Error 2
make: Leaving directory \`/tmp/vmware-config2/vmmon-only\’
Unable to build the vmmon module.
- Then here come the patch to save your day.
- 3rd Step: Extract the patch and go to the directory.
tar xvf vmware-any-any-update115.tar
cd [directory created when extracting the patch]
- 4th Step: Run the runme.pl script and this will continue the installation and fix the previous problem.
- Final Step: Now, we need to copy some files so that the vmware will run smooth without any problem.
sudo cp /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/And now we have just finish installing our VMware Server edition on our brand new Ubuntu Hardy Heron. I hope this tutorial can help you to solve the problem.
sudo cp /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/
Link to refer: aldeby | vmware | ubuntuforums.org