Here is a simple step to install a minimal debian setup and equip it with a lightweight wm like fluxbox. In this tutorial i used Fluxbox because I'm familiar with the structure of fluxbox.
First, maybe you should download the Debian iso from here.
Burn burn burn the iso and boot using the cd and install a minimal package of debian package(without X) and dont use any mirror. We need to keep it as simple as possible to make it lightweight. For those who didnt know how to install a minimal debian package, please refer to the debian site. My keyword is simple, dont used the "mirror"
After finished setup the debian, boot to your new fresh installed debian and make some changes to your "sources.list" to make fluxbox, and some other stuff available to install by using apt-get.
- Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list by using your fav editor, i'm using nano (:P)
- nano /etc/apt/sources.list
- and add this two other line:
- deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
- deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
- save and exit ( ctrl+x)
- now run update to get the latest version of update. "apt-get update"
- install xserver-xorg-core, xorg:
- apt-get install xserver-xorg-core xorg
- Now you have to choose either to use gdm or xdm:
- apt-get install xdm/gdm
- and the last step is to install fluxbox:
- apt-get install fluxbox
- after that, you can reboot your machine and it will load the xdm/gdm on default and just login to your user account to start the fluxbox.